~About The Crew~

We are a group of diligent couch potatoes, who are deeply devoted to hardwork in the commonroom.
The couch is our vice and is the place where we sit and
-chill
-study
-daydream
-doze off
-attempt to find solutions to the endless list of toils that university life brings.

Its all about balance and so are we. On top of all that, we are just too cool. We put the french in the fry, the ato in potato, the ash in mash and the cool in school.

Friday, October 3, 2008

The Stereotypical Rhodent.

Ashleigh describes herself as a spoilt brat who throws tantrums when she doesn't get her way. This helped her achieve everything she wanted in her school years. She was always part of the popular group and developed a serious interest in boys and partying. She decided to come to Rhodes to become more independent and receive a solid tertiary education, which would allow her to become a success in the field of marketing, "Little did I know that education would be the last thing on my mind.”

Still hung over after a typical night out she looks far from the energetic beauty she was the night before. A typical night out for Ashleigh consists of pre-drinks (a bottle of wine) and then more drinking when she goes out, her selection involves shots, ciders and cane trains, “when I am out I generally do a lot of stupid embarrassing things that I would never do when I am sober but I still have fun.” Her attitude reflects her feelings that she is laid back and ‘chilled’, and that she doesn’t have a care in the world. It is this quality that attracts many people to her.

Since being at Rhodes she has changed and she believes it’s for the worse, "I know I have changed, thanks to the booze and crap food I have grown wider and I am confused about what I want to do with my life.” She has no motivation and all her world revolves around is where and when the next huge party is happening. “I used to party quite a lot before Rhodes but nothing compared to how much I do now, oh well you only live once so why not.” The fact is that not being motivated does not make you a bad person and she is a perfect example of this.

Ashleigh describes herself as typical Rhodent, going out, getting drunk and meeting people that she won’t remember in the morning, but despite the memory loss she still has many friends. “My friends are a major influence in my life, there is no point in partying if you are doing it alone.” When talking about her friends her body language changes and she becomes excited, her smile reflects her happiness and love for them. Unfortunately peer pressure is a problem for her, which is something that separates her from the stereotypical Rhodent.

She may be a Rhodent but she is also a person. “I love my family and sometimes I feel that my partying ways have let them down and myself.” There is a hint of sadness in her eyes but she quickly recovers, “I know in the end I will make them proud so why not have fun on they way.” She has a contagious laugh which makes it easy to see why people like her so much. She plans to travel the world, which is one thing that has stayed constant since being a Rhodes. Despite being a Rhodent and having no idea what she wants to become, Ashleigh feels like she will become a success. “Rhodes is one chapter in my life and there will be several after this, I am not really worried. I will find my way and it will just be in my own time on my own terms.” Ashleigh is a Rhodent in her own right and is proud of it.

No comments: