~About The Crew~

We are a group of diligent couch potatoes, who are deeply devoted to hardwork in the commonroom.
The couch is our vice and is the place where we sit and
-chill
-study
-daydream
-doze off
-attempt to find solutions to the endless list of toils that university life brings.

Its all about balance and so are we. On top of all that, we are just too cool. We put the french in the fry, the ato in potato, the ash in mash and the cool in school.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Bungee My Life: First year relationships: are they mutual or sexual?


Choosing Cynicism over Naivety?

I’m a budding young feminist. Believe me when I say I know how easy it is to let past experiences turn you into a man-bashing relationship cynic. You may not be that far-gone yet, but you seem well on your way. Even though I hardly know you, we have a lot more than I can say in common and I’d hate to see you become what I just escaped.

Sex - indubitably a common element of gender relations on Rhodes Campus. I think we would be naïve to deny that. You can’t assume, however, that that is the case in every relationship. A lot of guys who I encounter on a daily basis, much like the one you had the displeasure of crossing paths with, talk big about sex when they know they aren’t really getting any. What can we say – little boys must talk big to make up for smaller things. ;) That’s a story for another day though.

Here is the point I’d really like to make. My biggest issue while reading your blogpost wasn’t that you had made broad and sweeping generalisations or that you may have stereotyped men and made sexist comments (as others who have commented on this post have alleged) but rather that you have allowed this single personal experience to determine your entire outlook on relationships and sex. Varsity kids do act like dogs on heat sometimes, and men and women often disrespect each other in their relationships. Such is life, but in order to make informed and personally fulfilling decisions about your opinions on certain matters, you’re going to have to look at the bigger picture. Open up your eyes to the good things happening in your everyday life – you’ll find yourself a far happier person :)

No comments: